Saturday, March 10, 2012

Heaven...a little Smoque BBQ Heaven


Two foodie minds can think alike when planning out a new restaurant adventure. Thankfully in early March this came true again with my friend Nick and the dinner I had promised him for his birthday. My plan back in January was to treat him to the now new age of Chef Paul Kahan west loop culinary excellence with Blackbird. Then I reminded myself on March 1st of the financial obligations of everything from medical bills to my brother’s bachelor party, later wedding and the 100 to 130 I would likely spend at Blackbird flew away. 

Nick has become an enthusiast of smoking meats. Perhaps the tastes from his time in the boggy south whet his appetites, perhaps as well because Nick is a very inventive home cook, often using his or his parent’s smokers for holidays. I swear if my novel never sells I would encourage my friends and family to go in on what would likely but a fun but ultimately a disastrous restaurant venture in micro brewing and culinary desires. Pipe dreams aside, Nick and I ventured down to Smoque BBQ in Chicago on 3800 N. Pulaski, just off of the tenacious bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic on route 94. 

Walking in, we were greeted not only by the several helping hands of assistance staff (between wait staff, bus boys and runners) but also the delectable smell of smoked meats. A giant signed poster of Guy Fieri from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the wall urged us to go forward into a seven to fifteen people deep line that didn’t die down until we left.

“Should we go all out?” I asked Nick, pointing to the massive menu chalk board. “Whatever you think is best, I trust your awesomeness Big G,” Nick said, rubbing his hands together, anticipating. I used the rule of thumb there as I did at Real Urban BBQ – one dish for each of us and then one other main dish for us to share. The side menu was limited to about seven items, making us wonder why there weren’t more options. I would soon find out the sides, contrary to main course of animals that died for good causes, would prove that quality was better than quantity. I ordered pulled pork and let Nick pick out the sides – macaroni and cheese and hearty brisket chili. 

“Sliced brisket with sides of BBQ beans and cornbread,” I told the pint sized young woman behind the counter. “We were thinking about splitting ribs…maybe a full slab?” 

“We have an off the menu special on those…” the cashier said. 

Off the menu special you say? Please continue! 

“You can do the special half slab of St Louis style and the half slab of the Chicago baby back.”

The two of us nodding like two men with bobble heads on, we took our seats. Smoque BBQ features family style dining where you will be placed in open spots amongst total strangers. Don’t fear the opportunity to interact. The group next to us joined our conversation about food hot spots in Chicago after offering us some of their French fries which we dutifully dipped in the two sauces – Memphis style with spice and a loose Carolina style with a vinegar snap. The place is also a BYO, which many patrons took advantage of with a shared six pack. 

One of many men behind the counter shouted our number above the din chatter and small kitchen behind. I had to make two runs from there to our table with what we ordered. The pulled pork, sans bun, was quite good as I noticed the hints of vinegar, black pepper in moist meat. Their signature sliced brisket was melty and soft, so much so we didn’t need to use a knife. I named the BBQ beans, complete with tiny chunks of brisket, a “bowl of smoke” with it’s almost effervescent smoky flavor that was delicious and so rich I swore we could blow smoke rings after a few bites. The other sides were great compliments to meal as well. I particularly appreciated the coleslaw, which I am not a fan of. The slaw, prepared quite simply with black pepper and vinegar instead of mayonnaise, refreshed the palate. 

The main event was the ribs, something that had left me feeling somewhat unsatisfied when I went to Real Urban BBQ. I hold this truth to be self-evident that Smoque’s baby back ribs with and without sauce are the best damn ribs I have ever had – period! All my senses needed was one bite and I was hooked by the multitude of spices on top of the beautiful smoke ring, some of which I could tell was various peppers, salt, and coriander. The St Louis ribs, with all of their imparted flavors and artful char, were slightly meatier and just as fall of the bone quality as the baby back. You can see below how happy of a lad Nick was - nearly in tears with appreciation. When I wasn’t using one of six napkins or my lips to clean off the flavors, I was in the same company of satisfaction.

Needless to say we left with our stomachs feeling like those old toys, wee wobbles, bobbing here and there in what could have turned into a meat coma. I couldn’t resist buying two, 18 ounce bottles of their affordable spicy Memphis style barbeque sauce. A gift for my Dad but selfishly, one for my future grill on my patio!
The difference between Real Urban BBQ and Smoque is in a few items, where one place does them better than the other. Truthfully, don’t waste your time comparing which one is better – they are both good. Sometimes you just have to appreciate a good plate of barbeque that will not remain on your plates for long once your order has been called. 



No comments:

Post a Comment