Sunday, June 17, 2012

Confucius say, “Charcoal takes time”


If I can offer one piece of advice to anyone out there who like myself is foraying into the world of cooking succulent meats or vegetables by the heat of charcoal – develop patience. I chose to not embrace this virtue yesterday as I Christened my new 18.5’’ Weber charcoal grill, perfect for the corner of my condo balcony. Dumping coals into the chimney starter, I light the mounds of paper in the area below, thinking those lumps of rock will ignite in a slow burn. Problem was that after a mere two minutes of burning, I poured the charcoal onto the grill, the heat far below an acceptable 225, not a single briquette turning ashy. Disappointed, I watched over the low heat for safety while Ally was nice enough to grab us a small bag of Kingsford mesquite charcoal and a can of lighter fluid. Like any guy who is turned on by the sight of flames roaring, I did however care more about those new briquettes lighting. I learned to leave the grill cover off to allow as much air to begin a chemical reaction within the charcoal. When they turn ashy gray in color, that means that heat will come, and if you are wise to move the charcoal around and stack appropriately, in a matter of 15 to 20 minutes, your grill will be ready to go. 

I chose to cook three half pound grass fed beef burgers from Whole Foods along with two ears of corn slathered in butter while the kernels caramelized on the grate.  The roaring coals were spread out evenly over the bottom grate for direct grilling, a method that requires 30 or more briquettes (depending on size of grill) that will result in a heat above 300 degrees for sustained cooking. If you expect to smoke a meat, your charcoals should rest in a certain corner while the meat sits on the opposite side above. That method is called indirect grilling. The fat within the meat will break down and turn into a juicy steak or tender ribs because your temperature should be from 215 to 260. Smoke as well will add flavor, texture and cook the meat through. Soak a handful of desired chips (for beginners, use hickory) in a bowl for a half hour. Afterwards, remove chips, pat them down with a towel and toss them onto the working coals. If you wanted to add chips as well to direct grilling, do the same thing, just don’t expect top notch smoked meat results if your burger and corn cooks for a mere 10 to 20 minutes. 

Ally and I chose to place these medium cooked burgers on mayo and mustard covered sliced pretzel buns. Place a slice of bacon on top, along with either a slice of avocado or tomato and pad with some crunchy lettuce or arugula for a peppery bite. The true genius, if I must say so myself, came with goat cheese, which we duly slathered over the top of the finished burgers. Trust me, all that frustration was worth a dynamite burger, crunchy corn and a good beer. 

Don’t bother to put out the flame of the charcoal with water or dirt unless you absolutely have to. The next morning, you’ll be glad you left the cover open to let those hot coals run the course of their packed energy to dissolve into an ashy pit. Every stage of grilling requires a patience that I am learning to appreciate – the results are too delicious to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment