Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Reflection: My top 5 in food and culture



About eleven months ago Miles to Go Before I Sleep started as a writing exercise, an excuse to commit myself to writing three to four times a month to a food or cultural experience I had. At times I knew not what to write with a lean month, or other times, like with New York or summer in Chicago, having far too many places to share. I can say that I was fortunate to have my fiancĂ© Ally and friends accompany me on these experiences, something I press hard into my students as a truly valuable education outside of a classroom. 2013 brings possibilities in what is already a short-list of places to go, menus to devour. Looking back, I’d like to share with you what I felt were my top five each in food and culture experiences as the clock winds down on 2012.

Top 5 – Food
1)      Five Napkin Burger in NYC – Best burger of my life. The Earth’s rotation slowed for me.
2)      Les Halles in NYC – The most pleasurable dinner of my life
  3)      Two Brothers Brewery in Warrenville – Rich in flavor and big on public engagement
4)      Haymarket Brewery in Chicago’s West Loop – Creative and accommodating in food and brews
5)      Smoque in Chicago – One bite of those ribs and I was transported to Elysium.

Honorable mentions:
Real Urban BBQ – Visited far too many times to not have on the list                                 
Texas de Brazil – Favorite decadent pig-out palace                         
Pete Miller’s – Almost a top five with their steaks if not for Les Halles


Top 5 – Cultural experiences
1)      (Tie) Ellis Island – Opening the door to your ancestors would make you cry too.
2)      (Tie) Ryan and Heather’s wedding – Guilt trip to not place this on the list – it’s my honor.
3)      The Book of Mormon – Ally and I have agreed this is our favorite musical, probably because of the endless renditions of the show we have played out in our cars and home.
4)      Rockefeller Center – Fascinating art deco complex for private and public endeavors. Great views of New York from the Top of the Rock
5)      Door County – a summer/fall family destination since I was a child. Some places stick because they call you home.

Honorable mentions:
-Chicago Bears at Soldier Field: The preseason game versus the Redskins would provide fuel for a season that would place fans like myself on a bi-polar swing of dedication.
-Wrigley Field for Cubs game: My fiancé is to thank for shedding her White Sox fan honor to buy near field seats for my birthday and a Cubbie win!

No comments:

Post a Comment