Saturday, February 9, 2013

First Time Sushi



Absences from writing have parasitic effect on one who best expresses themselves through words. I could make excuses ranging from the multiple sicknesses my fiancé and I have had (and apparently am developing mid-winter allergies again) that combined with a need to save cash in a strapped time, I have found myself without a blog posting. There are cultural elements that inspire us all – I keep forgetting with each movie I watch (last night was Midnight in Paris) to the new meal that has me nodding my head with every appreciative bite that the limits we find our only within ourselves. Let me get back on that horse.

Seeking a cure for the stay-inside-all-day winter blues, the past weekend Ally and I scoped out a restaurant for a new experience. Ally felt the challenge calling her to seek out sushi for a dinner at Kona Grill in Lincolnshire. Having not had sushi since the infamous ‘toilet hugging’ incident on my cruise back in 2010, enough time had passed for I to get over my fears and bring life to a dull season. 

Traversing across the crowded parking lot the wind found any open crevice around our coats to seep in and remind us to “stay home!” With 20 locations across the United States, Kona Grill embodies a fusion of modern American with Hawaiian and Japanese touches. The three hundred gallon fish tank behind the sushi station and the bamboo handles on the doors are the most dramatic touches of those cultures whereas most places might resort to kitsch and have their restaurant be the next nation featured at E.P.C.O.T’s World Showcase. The soft lighting was provided by muslin draped over umbrella styles that were imbedded into the ceiling, allowing for the sharper focus to be on each guest as they peruse over a range of excellent choices on the menu. 

Ally and I decided to warm up our bellies with a martini for her and a Manhattan for myself. Ally had her nervousness about trying sushi for the first time, no thanks likely to my tale of horror from the seafood soup and sushi I had out three days at sea in the Caribbean. Pushing herself in a way I admire, I encouraged her, and perhaps myself, to get over those feelings we all embody from foods that have developed plagues within our bodies for days at a time. Ally went with the Atlantic roll, a cucumber roll with tempura flakes, baked salmon, and a spicy aioli. Craving some ahi tuna over rice, we dove in with our chopsticks, both pleasantly surprised at the deep sea richness of mine and the multitudes of flavors of her rolls. It made Ally order a larger set of sushi rolls, the California roll, for the entrée. Although she enjoyed the avocado and crab mix, her heart was with the Atlantic rolls. 

Feeling the Cajun influence of super bowl weekend, I ordered the soft shell crab po’ boy. At a near top notch quality of seafood, why would you go for the fried chicken here and wait for the bland seafood platter at Red Lobster? Served on a soft brioche bun the po boy had wonderful levels of flavor – first from bites of the lightly breaded and fried soft shell crab, then the spicy slaw and chipotle mayo, then from the crisp bibb lettuce and the soft hint of Cajun flavors from slices of andouille sausage. Messy as it seems, sometimes a great sandwich deserves to be a battle. 

Though the dessert at Kona Grill of banana cream pie was nothing to write home about, the remainder of the experience certainly was. Their webpage photo features of salt rimmed cocktails and ciabatta sandwiches with sliced grilled rib eye steak will bring your wallets inside as well.  

 http://www.konagrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment