Thursday, September 20, 2012

Glenn's Diner



I’ll admit that I’m a fan of the Food Network show Diner’s, Drive-ins and Dives hosted by the glue haired, one step away from beach bum Guy Fieri. When he’s not wasting his time hosting game shows or sponsoring hackneyed versions of American meals at Friday’s with his name on the menu, he takes care to drive his drop top classic convertibles to restaurants across the country to find intense local dedication. I took up Fieri’s recommendation and my friend Mike’s of Glenn’s Diner on Montrose in the north side Ravenswood neighborhood of Chicago.

A practical hop off of the CTA Brown Line at you’ll find the wide brown awning of Glenn’s Diner. Inside, 30 name brand cereal boxes are artfully placed in wooden cubby holes at the back, indicating how unique their breakfast-all-day option is. That evening Mike, Ally and I were there for dinner entrees, more specifically the market fresh fish that is shipped in six days a week, with some of the 16 catches on the menu from outside the lower 48 states. Both the east and west walls of Glenn’s are dominated by a blackboard with all the seafood options, a few scratch cooked menu items (Reuben, spaghetti and meatballs). 

A local himself over in Lincoln Square, Mike was given instant recognition by our plucky waitress, giving Glenn’s a sense of community in a packed city. Though she could have made herself more present, Mike give her kudos for corking the remainder of the 22oz Stella he took to go, bag included. 

Mike’s tastes were simple that night – spaghetti with red sauce and no meatballs. Ally and I scanned the meticulous details of the menu, settling on the Sea Wing Crab Cakes for me and the Yellow Lake Perch for her. Price was a factor, each plate being twenty plus dollars, which we knew had to do with the high grade 3-5 quality of the fresh fish. Ally couldn’t help, nor would I, to mention the bones she picked out of the small portion of her perch. My two jumbo lump cakes were jammed with creamy crab, topped off with a nice pan sear with clarified butter and a side of what I could only guess was tartar sauce and mayo or aioli blend. The slaw was nothing to write home about. The kernels of buttered corn with Cajun spices reminded me of the same recipe, in flavor as well, of a dish I make for Bears football get-togethers with my softball crew and their wives - mine's better! Ally and I hated to admit our stomachs weren’t satisfied, nibbling on some goat cheese, crackers and raisins when we got home. 

I’m glad I tested out Glenn’s, thanks to the exposure from triple D. I cannot fully expect to judge Glenn’s unless I’ve grabbed their high diner quality breakfast items as well. I guess my gripe, aside from Ally’s unpleasant fish, was that the price didn’t satisfy the quality at Glenn’s, though I get the vibe several returns visits for more culinary experimentation wouldn’t be out of the question. 




No comments:

Post a Comment