Saturday, October 6, 2012

A wee Irish pub in Highwood - Bridie McKenna's



The North Atlantic Ocean was in view from my window seat for hours, the icy passage that my plane cruised over where so many had taken passage. Then, at the right time, the waves smashing against the rocky coast of County Kerry and the green farm fields and stone walls of Ireland came into view. That was back in my first journey into Ireland back when I studied there in 2006. I can sniff out a good Irish pub, dive or not, from here to Limerick. Having not been back to the Emerald Isle since 2007, these pubs, along with the traditional Irish music of bands like the Chieftains, alleviate my longings for a good pint next to a hearth fire.
One such place in Highwood, Illinois has captured that essence of Ireland for me – Bridie McKenna’s. My Great-Grandfather Everett ran a grocery and butcher down the street from Bridie’s, making me wonder why this town I had been to since my youth hasn’t been explored or written about for the diverse range of restaurants on Green Bay and Waukegan Road. My now sister-in-law, Heather, who I have to thank for exposing to Bridie McKenna’s, accompanied me last week for a dinner and a business meeting over my new website – stay tuned! 

Sitting in what may be confused for a confessional booth with padded upholstery, Bridie’s has several ‘snugs’ where guest can cozily seat themselves for a good dinner. If you deem more of a public presence for a good time and several pints, Bridie’s has a range of classic European beers on top that you would find in Ireland from Carlsberg to Magners (Bulmers in Ireland). The tiny hearth fire in the corner of the one dining room is perfect for this time of year until next April. Walls are adorned with Irish knickknacks that are bought wholesale from Irish pub warehouses of junk. The frosted glass is adorned with Irish calligraphy and Celtic symbols throughout. On Tuesdays the owners allow in locals for traditional Irish music sessions, where the musicians make a school circle and play their fiddles and accordions almost for themselves. Damn, just thinking about it has The Chieftains tune The Dusty Miller belting out of my speakers. 

Each visit I’ve made to Bridie’s I’ve found the staff to be helpful, there for your requests more than most places would. Each week they have menu specials where you can chow down on half-price appetizers on Tuesdays or half-price burgers on Wednesdays. That past Tuesday Heather and I shared some Irish nachos (not very Irish, I know) that were of good enough quality as any other pub. Over four dollars pints of Magners for her and Harp for me, we relaxed into conversation and then business plans, as most Irish pubs are suited for. I have kissed the Blarney Stone my friends and I’ve been given the gift of gab since – or for those who know me well, the ability to not shut his face often enough. 

Heather settled for the Killarney chicken, which had a robust whiskey glaze on top. Feeding my desire for hearty plates, I dove into the Kinsale fish pie, a succulent mixture of chopped leeks, spring onions, salmon and cod cooked into a white wine cream sauce then topped with mash potatoes with a little oven char, similar to that of Sheppard’s pie. With enough on each plate to set my stomach to stop and take leftovers, the tunes of Dirty Old Town and a traditional tune I’ve lost memory of the name but not the melody filled our ears. 

If I wasn’t so tired from teaching all day, I could have stayed there until the fireplace was closed, the chairs hosted onto the tables and the last pint glass was dried for another round of another day where travelers to the Emerald Isle sing songs of times long gone. I leave you with the appropriate song from the The Pogues called Sally MacLennane.

“Sad to say I must be on me way, so buy beer or whiskey cause I’m going far away…”

No comments:

Post a Comment