Saturday, October 13, 2012

A unique Mexican spot on the North Shore



When I think of the communities that stretch from Wilmette to Lake Forest on Chicago’s north shore of Lake Michigan, I am not one to gravitate towards ethnic foods outside of pub and upscale dining. Those venues better reflected the pocketbooks and the half million plus houses in those communities. Starting ten to fifteen years ago, in communities like Highland Park and Highwood, a new wave of immigration from Latin America added unique must go to spots. In a way it’s no different than the immigrants from southern Europe (mainly Italy) over a hundred years ago that my family has direct ties to in that area. 

I wasn’t raised around the rich culinary history of Mexican or Latin American food. My Mom was second generation Italian-American (with all their hearty dishes) and my 3rd generation German-American father, the son of a farmer, instilled with a meat a potatoes diet to provide enough energy for the man to work 40 years of backbreaking labor as an electrician. But as my brothers and I grew up, met friends that opened our eyes a bit at the table, and exposed ourselves to the globalized world, we couldn’t help but to turn down offers such as checking out La Casa de Issac and Moishe in Highland Park. 

My buddy Nick decided to take me to a restaurant we had both never been to before. The deal was an old arrangement that these two culinary geeks, in public and in our apartments, would treat each other to a new spot for their birthday. Mine was a tad belated with our schedules. 

A few blocks north of downtown Highland Park, the vibrant adobe and teal colors of La Casa de Issac and Moishe greet you to what you will notice on a Saturday night is a happening place, each table packed. I wish you good luck finding parking in a flash; Nick parked two blocks away. Who knows, you could even find a celebrity in a visit. Two tables away from Nick and I was Chicago Cubs/WGN television play-by-play announcer Len Kasper. Was it awkward that I stared at him for two minutes straight? 

I would describe La Casa de Issac and Moishe a north suburban version of what Rick Bayless produces so well with his Frontera chain on North Clark Street in Chicago. Issac and Moishe has less of what people would call Tex-Mex and more authentic plates of Mexican dishes from Pollo en Mole Rojo (Chicken in red sauce) to Bistek ala Mexicana (rib eye gone south of the border). Nick and I decided to take advantage of the duck festival last Saturday. He ordered the shredded duck enchiladas with a rich Serrano salsa verde and I the in-house made blue corn tortillas topped with shredded duck in adobo sauce, topped with fresh chunks of pineapple and mango salsa and a killer side of that salsa verde. Our appetites were given a beat down by what seemed like a never ending wahaca (made from black volcanic stone) filled with house made guacamole. You will need that doggie bag. We had to take at least a third of our meal home. 

The night seemed appropriate to end off with two Don Julio anejo tequilas in tiny snifter glasses. My sister-in-law claims to be a growing aficionado of tequila when I am one of scotch and some beers. Hope I made her proud! 

http://www.lacasadeisaac.com/

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, that sounds yummy! I am currently working at a Mexican restaurant (that tends to be a little more traditional than La Casa, to be fair!) so I was interested to see what you'd found. Those dishes sound so good I might try my hand at making something similar at home.

    Though I do have to raise my glass to the Don Julio anejo- that is my favorite!!! Sending my best to you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete